The establishment of the Naparima Bowl Cultural Centre at the present site fits in the framework of the recreation of a cultural focal point in one of San Fernando’s most treasured places. This site is viewed as one of the major focal points in the development of the City of San Fernando.
The site of the Naparima Bowl was handed over by Government in 1956. However it was not until 1962 that it was opened. For many years the Naparima bowl enjoyed the prestige of being the only home for theatre in San Fernando. Today there is also the Creative Arts Centre. In 1977 the auditorium of the Bowl was destroyed by fire.
Although the Naparima Bowl is situated only a few metres from one of the city’ main street (Independence Avenue), it remains hidden from the road. With the San Fernando General Hospital towering over it, the Bowl rests in a hollow once known as ‘the Tray’.
On October 20, 1990, the Naparima Bowl officially reopened and the artistic world breathed a sigh of relief. The "Bowl" consists of a 500-seat spacious, very well lit and air-conditioned auditorium, and a 50-foot wide stage, 14 dressing rooms and a 2500 seat open-air amphitheater.
Today, the Naparima Bowl is used for cultural shows, concerts, queen shows, conferences, dance, music and art festivals.