Breathe, bend and read together with Anansesem! Come join us for a full-body experience building literary knowledge, cultural consciousness, inner child wisdom and healthy bodies at the same time! Each Stories and Stretches event will include a Caribbean children's picturebook read-aloud, a short book club-style discussion, a full 60-minute Hatha yoga…See More
Breathe, bend and read together with Anansesem! Come join us for a full-body experience building literary knowledge, cultural consciousness, inner child wisdom and healthy bodies at the same time! Each Stories and Stretches event will include a Caribbean children's picturebook read-aloud, a short book club-style discussion, a full 60-minute Hatha yoga class, and breathing/mindfulness exercises. **Please note that this is a combined yoga class and children's literature reading group FOR ADULTS.** All will be led by Anansesem's editor-in-chief, Summer Edward, who is a Yoga Alliance-certified (USA) yoga instructor (RYT 200).
The 60-minute Hatha yoga class has a mixed level of beginner and intermediate poses and is open to all levels of practitioners. Please bring your own yoga mat and your bottled water.
**Space is limited. Registration is required. Use the link below to register and to electronically sign the waiver form for yoga class.**
TTD $75 per session. Payment due at beginning of class.
LOCATION AND TIME
Every Saturday from 11 AM to 12:30 PM, February 23 to March 30, 2019. Unless otherwise stated, sessions will take place in the Royal Botanic Gardens in Port of Spain. Please check the Facebook Event page for any location change updates.
BOOK DISCUSSION TITLES
Sat. February 23, 2019- The Field by Baptiste Paul
Sat. March 2, 2019- Malaika's Costume by Nadia L. Hohn
Sat. March 9, 2019- Birthday Suit by Olive Senior
Sat. March 16, 2019- Down by the River: Afro-Caribbean Rhymes, Games, and Songs for Children by Grace Hallworth (A selection of rhymes from the book will be read.)
Sat. March 23, 2019- Under the Moon & Over the Sea edited by Grace Nichols and John Agard (A few poems from the book will be read.)
Sat. March 30, 2019- Anna Carries Water by Olive Senior
Buying the picturebook (many are available on Kindle) or borrowing it from one of the NALIS library branches is highly recommended, but if you cannot get a copy for some reason, you can still participate in the book club discussion as the picturebook will be read aloud.
YOGA CLASS ETIQUETTE
• Please dress in comfortable clothes. Strictly no short pants allowed. Pants should be knee-length at least.
• Arrive on time; late arrivals can be disruptive, especially once the yoga begins.
• Classes are practiced barefoot. Please leave your shoes in the designated area.
• Make sure that all electronic devices that may be disruptive to others are on silent mode.
• Advise the instructor of any injury or medical condition before class starts. Also let the instructor know if you are pregnant.
• Once the instructor begins the class, refrain from talking to others or to the instructor. As much as possible, reserve questions for after the class.
• Go at your own pace. Be gentle and respectful towards your body, never moving to the point of pain.
• If you must leave early, tell the instructor in advance.
**REGISTER IN ADVANCE HERE: https://tinyurl.com/y8r4boqt**
We are stretching the boundaries of literary study into the realm of Caribbean children's books...and we're stretching our bodies too! Join us!
There are no additional photos for this event.