TEDxPortofSpain hosts smaller events called Salons. TEDxPortofSpainSalons are evening-length events with speakers and performers curated by TEDxPortofSpain volunteers to explore issues of interest.
Like sprouting stamen, tall bamboo emerged from the ground with petal-like flags bending at the mercy of the wind and gods. Tracey and Lisa had arrived by the man on Gray Street. With hesitation in step and voice, Lisa whispered, "is ah obeah man yuh bring meh by or a pundit?"
For the Radas, Hindus, Buddhists and the myriad of other devotees, there are several myths and stereotypes regarding their respective religious practices and beliefs. We are putting some questions forward for exploration of religion in Trinidad. Some of them are listed below. We invite you to add your questions, comments, opinions, experiences and facts to this TEDxPortofSpain Taboo Conversation on 25 February 2016 at Pagoda from 6 p.m.
1. How do we begin to debunk myths associated with practices such as kali puja, saint 'worship', zoolatry etc.? Is it worth trying?
2. What are the common religious customs that can be identified for mutual appreciation and understanding?
3. Are our laws still largely shaped by Christian beliefs? If so, how does this influence perceptions of equity?
4. Is there a friendly space for agnostics, atheists, the 'no-namers' and the spiritual?
5. What role does religion play in development of our country? How does this play out?
There are no additional photos for this event.